Bioinformatics Fundamentals: From Illumina Sequencer to Assessing Data Quality
Next-generation sequencing (NGS) plays an essential role in life sciences research and diagnostics. This informational session will allow you to understand the basics of generating NGS data and assessing its quality, including choosing the appropriate Illumina sequencer for your experiment, understanding the outputted sequencing data format, and understanding the report generated by the quality control tool, FastQC.
Date: November 8 & 9, 2022
Time: 3:00pm - 4:30pm
Registration Fee: Free
System Requirements: Windows, Linux, or Mac
- General introduction to next generation sequencing (NGS)
- Overview of Illumina sequencing platforms (MiSeq vs. NextSeq vs NovaSeq)
- Choosing the correct sequencer for your experiment
- Converting binary base call (BCL) sequence file to FASTQ format
- Understanding FASTQ files
- Importance of assessing data quality
- Assessing data with FastQC
- Understanding FasQC reports
Recordings of the webinar can be found on VIMEO:
Please contact us if you have any questions or have suggestions for new training topics.